As we get ready for an amazing installation on September 19 - 25. Let’s get to know the man behind the art, Kevin Byrd!
1) What is your role with WonderRoot?
WonderRoot has played a critical role in my own artistic development. I was amongst a group of twelve selected for the first Walthall Fellowship, a year-long artist development program.
2) How did you first get involved with creating art?
- A passing trip through Marfa, Texas and the work of Donald Judd, John Chamberlain, and Dan Flavin. I speak about this, minimalism, and the journey from design to art: CLICK HERE!
3) Which artists inspire you?
- Mike Stasny
4) Favorite place to see art in Atlanta?
- There is so much happening right now around Atlanta. It’s everywhere.
5) Do you listen to music while you’re working? If so, what do you listen to when creating?
6) What book is currently on your nightstand?
- How to Install Nest.
7) Grits or Hashbrowns?
8) What advice would you give to a high school senior contemplating art school?
- Go to a technology school.
9) Do you work on art every day, regardless of whether or not you’ve been commissioned, or wait for inspiration to strike?
- Making is discovery. I make every day.
10) What about the houses inspires you?
- My favorite thing is it acts as scaffolding for artistic interventions. It’s a framework.